False burden bearing
Healing Streams Ministry, Savannah, GA. All scriptures are from the NKJV unless otherwise noted.
It is easy to become overburdened, but deadly to be falsely burdened
We may have a right desire in our heart to help others and still be drawn into a heavy snare.
Galatians 6:2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
Notice that burdens is in the plural, indicating that it is the specific needs or cares afflicting an individual (their burdens) that we are to bear (or carry)—not the person himself. God gives us grace (strength by His Spirit) to help others with their difficulties and problems. But God does not give us grace to carry the full weight of their life—no matter how much we may want to and no matter how much they may seem to need it! We are not equipped or called to be their savior or redeemer. There is only one Savior who can bear the burden of another’s life—Jesus.
Psalms 49:6-9 Those who trust in their wealth And boast in the multitude of their riches, 7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother, Nor give to God a ransom for him —8 For the redemption of their souls is costly, And it shall cease forever —9 That he should continue to live eternally, And not see the Pit.
False burden bearing is a heavy yoke upon the believer who is over-involved in trying to rescue another person or in seeking to bear that person’s life as their own burden. It may seem very compelling, necessary and right. But Jesus says that His yoke is easy, not heavy—this is the ultimate test of whether the burden we feel is of the Lord or of self.
Matthew 11:28-30 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Self-imposed burdens are hard and heavy to bear—and difficult to recognize as false ways of caring for another. (This is especially difficult for mothers with their children.) However, learning to cast our cares for others on God is the most responsible thing we can do. Then, if we let Him take charge, His Spirit can and will direct us if there are things He might desire us to do. It is actually a sign of humility when we un-burden to God.
1 Peter 5:6-7 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, 7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
Signs of false burden bearing or false responsibility
Anytime or in any way that you need others and their problems in order to feel good about yourself. Using others’ needs to meet your needs.
Doing what others should be doing. Rescuing—trying to save them.
Co-dependency—covering up for them.
Boundary trespassing—not watching your own or looking out for theirs.
Meddling—getting into their stuff when it is none of your business.
4625 Sussex Place, Savannah, GA 31405 Phone: 912-355-3532
Email: healingstreams@forerunners4Him.org Web: forerunners4Him.org
Being someone else’s Holy Spirit—a means of control and dependency. (Beware of striving to tell someone what to do—you can barely see your own path, let alone theirs!)
Accepting too many responsibilities—not being able to say no. (Love is spelled “NO.”)
In your serving of others, if there is driven-ness or fear, frustration or resentment, or a martyr or messiah complex, there could be false burden bearing.
False burden bearing coming out of rejection
Because of rejection you may need to have people look to you for help so that you will feel affirmed and needed (not rejected) by others. Or, because of rejection, if you don’t know who you are in Christ, you may get your identity out of living through others or controlling them instead of taking care of your own responsibilities. Either wayit’s a burden you can reject!
- Electing a President Who Will Promote Revival February 5, 2016
- Soul Ties February 5, 2016
- Derek Prince Ministries : Teaching Letters February 5, 2016
- Derek Prince Ministries : Daily Devotional – Y February 5, 2016
- DEAF AND DUMB SPIRIT AND GENDER CONFUSION UPDATED February 5, 2016
- Could Thought Curses Be Oppressing Your Mind? February 4, 2016
- A NOW ARTICLE FOR AMERICAN JEWISH VOTERS! February 3, 2016
- Is This Dirty Little Secret Destroying Your Marriage? February 3, 2016
- Why Is a Large Segment of the Church Powerless? February 2, 2016
- ‘I Am Raising Up the Unlockers’ February 2, 2016
- This Is the Hardest Addiction to Break February 1, 2016
- Christian mega-author: Trump ‘absolute catastrophe’ as president January 31, 2016
- Ted Cruz: If Christians vote, race ‘would be over’ January 31, 2016
- WHIRLWIND A FASCINATING FIND THIS A.M. January 31, 2016
- 25 Important Bible Verses About Counseling January 31, 2016
- Food Addiction: ‘Break the Habit’ January 30, 2016
- How to Release Supernatural Power Through Your Words January 29, 2016
- 6 Things That Must Happen to Bring Revival January 29, 2016
- PRAYING FOR AMERICA IS THERE A HARBINGER CONNECTION? ART MATHIAS PDF January 29, 2016
- Of Course We’re Christians First and Americans Second | The Stream January 29, 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011